The Hill article — President Donald Trump on Wednesday fired back at news outlets for claiming his campaign staff had been caught on tape boasting about sexual misconduct against women and threatening to reveal their names to investigators.
Trump tweeted that media outlets had made up stories of his staffers bragging about sexual harassment, which he dismissed as “fake news.”
He said, “The media is totally dishonest.
The fake news is going on.”
In an interview on “The View” Thursday morning, Trump said the media is “not even reporting” the stories they have been reporting.
The Hill reported earlier this month that Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski and Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, were among the people fired by the campaign on Tuesday after a video surfaced of them making lewd comments.
Trump also called for an investigation into media reporting of his campaign, saying the stories were “ridiculous.”
The president also took a shot at his own press secretary Sean Spicer, saying that the White House had to be more “sensitive” because of his press credentials.
The president said, “‘The President has the ability to speak for himself and he has the right to do so.
And if he wants to do a briefing, we have to be very, very sensitive.'”
On Wednesday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president was not trying to get the media to “take his word” and that “there’s no evidence” that any of the people on the tape had ever sexually harassed anyone.
Trump said that the media was “failing their jobs” by publishing stories that he had dismissed as false.
“It’s not true.
It’s not false.
It is not true,” he said.
“And the media, they’re failing their jobs.
And they’re not doing their jobs.”
Trump also suggested that the stories of sexual harassment he has dismissed as fake could be part of a broader effort to discredit his administration.
He said that some people are trying to “pursue and distort” what he said in the video, but that he wasn’t aware of any attempt to do that.
“This is not a secret.
It was made public by the New York Times,” he continued.
“The Washington Post did the same thing with me.
The New York Post did it with me on the Access Hollywood tape.
The Washington Post didn’t do it with President Obama.
The other thing is, they have a great reporting staff.
I don’t know if they’ve been able to do this.
I think that’s part of the problem.”
Follow Julie Pace on Twitter: @jpaceDC